How Do I Get My Waste Approved for Shipment to Hanford?
For detail on each topic, click on the highlighted title.
- Becoming a new Hanford Customer. You must first obtain approval from the Department of Energy to ship waste to the Hanford Site.
- Annual Waste Forecast and Funding Arrangements. Each year, customers must provide a forecast of the expected waste volumes and arrange funding for the forecasted waste volumes.
- Waste Stream Approval. The customer provides information concerning each waste stream on a Waste Profile Sheet. The waste stream information is reviewed against the Hanford Site Solid Waste Acceptance Criteria. If the waste stream information is sufficient and meets the applicable acceptance criteria, the waste stream is approved.
- Waste Shipment Approval. The customer provides specific data electronically or by other means as discussed with Waste Managements POC for each waste container on the Container Data Sheet. The container data are reviewed against the Waste Profile Sheet and the Hanford Site Solid Waste Acceptance Criteria and approved for shipment.
- Waste Receipt Quality Assurance Program. A percentage of waste shipments and containers are selected for receipt verification. These containers can be inspected visually, verified by nondestructive examination, or sampled for field or laboratory analysis to confirm that the waste matches the Waste Profile Sheet. Any discrepancies between the verification results and the Waste Profile Sheet must be resolved before final acceptance on the Hanford Site.
If you have never shipped waste to the Hanford Site or if you have any questions concerning this process, please contact Angie Willette, Rick Austin, or your assigned Waste Management Representative for assistance.