A 60-day public comment period will run from March 23 - May 22, 2020.
A public meeting scheduled for March 26 has been POSTPONED.
More information will be provided when the meeting is rescheduled.
A 2019 report identified three underground liquid waste disposal structures – 216-Z-2 Crib, 241-Z-361 Settling Tank and 216-Z-9 Crib – to be at risk of age-related failure. To prevent the potential spread of contamination, the Department of Energy and contractor CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation Company are preparing to stabilize the structures by filling them with engineered grout. The grout will provide near-term protection of human health and the environment against potential collapse and release of contamination, while not precluding future remedial or closure actions. Planning for the stabilization work is underway, including design, regulatory documentation and a subcontracting approach for materials and services. Fieldwork preparations will begin in the coming months, with grouting of the two smallest structures planned to start this summer. Grouting of the larger structure (216-Z-9 Crib) is anticipated to be completed within a year. The stabilization work is planned to be done as a Time Critical Removal Action under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act.
- Fact Sheet – Stabilizing Disposal Structures at Risk of Failure
- Recommendation and Summary Report
- Structural Evaluation of Select Aging Structures
- Presentation – Stabilization of 216-Z-2 Crib, 216-Z-9 Trench, and 241-Z-361 Settling Tank
- Request for Expression of Interest/Sources Sought
- Request for Proposal
- Statement of Work
- Action Memorandum for the Interim Stabilization of 216-Z-2 Crib, 216Z9 Trench, and 241Z361 Settling Tank – Draft A
- Action Memorandum for the Interim Stabilization of 216-Z-2 Crib, 216Z9 Trench, and 241Z361 Settling Tank – Revision 0
- Remedial Design/Remedial Action Work Plan for the 200-CW-5, 200-PW-1, 200-PW-3, and 200-PW-6 Operable Units
- Record of Decision Hanford 200 Area Superfund Site 200-CW-5 and 200-PW-1, 200-PW-3, and 200-PW-6 Operable Units
- PUREX Tunnel 2 Expert Panel Presentation
- Presentation - PUREX Tunnel #2 Options Considered
- PUREX Tunnel 2 Expert Panel Report
This website will be updated as more information is available.