The Reduction-Oxidation Plant, better known as the REDOX, was the fourth of five processing “canyons” constructed in the central part of the Hanford Site. The REDOX was used from 1952 through 1967 for the chemical separation of plutonium from irradiated uranium fuel rods. Over that time the facility processed approximately 24,000 tons of fuel rods.
At 470 feet long and 160 feet wide, the REDOX was smaller but more efficient than its predecessors, with the capacity to process up to 12 tons of uranium each day, compared to about 1.5 tons for B Plant and T Plant. REDOX operations also consolidated plutonium processing programs into one building and process, whereas previously they required multiple facilities and processes.